The drivers presented here are exclusive to BD-Design and feature a compact, powerful neodymium magnet system which provides exceptional energy levels and reduces the total loudspeaker mass. This results in super high efficiency, low distortion, excellent linearity, and extended bandwidth.
It is not easy to find truly great bass drivers which both deliver clean, controlled, dynamic and deep bass and can be effectively combined with our ORIS front horns. We searched for commercially available bass drivers that could meet this requirement for a long time, but most were either not technically suitable or are too expensive.
Finally we decided to develop our own driver. After many trials and errors we managed to created a superb high-sensitivity driver that can be blended perfectly within our speaker systems, custom made to our own high standards and manufactured for a very reasonable price.
Some specific elements responsible for the performance of these fine sounding bass drivers are:
- Light weight and high strength and, most importantly, a good sounding cast aluminium basket.
- Light and very rigid custom made paper diaphragm.
- A diaphragm able to resist air pressure and therefore capable of actually delivering bass.
- Spiders and surrounds specified for both good sound and very long life.
- Flat wired, light weight, extremely short and underhung voice coil.
- Small but very strong "double" Neodynium magnet construction with a 14mm(!) thick pole plate.
- Nearly 100dB sensitivity with 16 ohm impedance (almost 103dB sensitivity at 8ohm when used in parallel).
- Linear and clean response without noticeable break up problems.
- Very light total weigth saves on shipping costs.
These reference quality bass drivers were designed for use in our own systems, but are also highly suitable for use in peoples’ own DIY designs - something we really encourage (we don't want to keep these just for ourselves!).
If you need more information feel free to contact Bert Doppenberg or use our Forum for support.