BD15 as a subwoofer. (BD-Design)

by GC, Thursday, October 20, 2005, 11:15 (6755 days ago) @ GC

Hi Dmitry

Why didn't you go with Bert's BD30's? To be able to sale it easier in
needed?

I try to stick to the rule of listening before buying and Berts stuff is not widespread in the UK:-( .
At the time there were no reviews of the BD30's out there from others that had tried it but since then some great reviews have appeared.
The Sugden has a firm following in the secondhand market in the UK and given that I was getting through amps at quite a pace this did influence me. Luckily it fits the bill perfectly.

My speakers are similar to yours. Same DX-4 in back loaded horn (Passion)
powered by SE tube amp (Obsession)
(http://ca.geocities.com/dk-diy@rogers.com).

I dont know the Obsession. You have made a fantastic job of construction. Remember with this orientation the bass is only as good as that from your main amp.

I'd want to add

BD15 based subs to the system and, assume, would need something similar to
Sugden A21a or BD30. Both are costly. Did you consider any tube DIY amps
for this?

There are thousands of amps available and its impossible to try them all. One key point is to try for a sub that has a valve-like sonic signature for best integration. I have little or no skills at electronics so shy away from DIY, but if you are OK at that sort of stuff then chip amps may be a possibility. It may be a sweeping statement but good bass seems to be difficult to achieve from cheap valve amps, though others may know better;-)

Incidentaly I would agree with Bert that stereo 'subs' are the way to go. You are asking them to contribute to some pretty high frequencies, way above the notional crossover values and they hence become more 'detectable'

Good luck, Chris

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread