Foobar playback (BD-Design)

by GC, Saturday, October 22, 2005, 10:49 (6760 days ago) @ GC

Hello Bert,
About your question(s):

- does the Toshiba have a 2.0 USB port (and drivers installed)?
- do you use a short USB cable?
- did you fully disabled the build-in soundcard?
- did you select Direct Sound and USB Apparaat in Foobar?

1. Both notebooks have USB 2.0 ports that work fine with the mouse and the external hard disk.
2. I did not yet use the USB connection to the Twindac for practical reasons. I am just testing everything on a table first. However, I did find a nice short USB cable of 0.5 meter from Belkin. It is called Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Device Cable from their PRO SERIES. The price was only 6.50 Euro but it has gold plated contacts.
3. I did not yet disable the sound card.
4. I did select Direct Sound but there was no option available to select a USB device. Could this be due to the fact that the Twindac is not connected?

This morning I made a test that I did not think of yesterday. I played a CD on my new Acer directly from the disk using Windows Media Player and my headphone. The sound was just as terrible as with Foobar! On my old Toshiba both programs sound OK through the headphone. So I will go to the computershop and ask them what they can do about this last discovery.

I must admit that I still do not know how all this computer audio works in detail. Do you know a good, technical document on this subject?

Of course I will try to test the notebooks with the Twindac soon, but tomorrow I will go to the VAD-show, a large HiFi-exhibition which is very close to my house.

Yours,
Eddie

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread