OB designs (Off Topic)

by ALF, Sunday, January 01, 2006, 07:57 (6689 days ago) @ Jim D.

I have been playing with OB setups for a while (mostly semi-designed or undesigned, or accidentally designed :blush: )I find most to be remarkably forgiving ... you can get a pretty acceptable sound from very modest speakers - but even so, one needs to be careful where one puts them - it seems that you can tune them a bit like musical instruments - especially the bass - upper bass regions.
I don't see me returning to box designs - I'm hooked on the open sound...

I am seriously - very seriously - considering a pair along the Quasar line, but with different drivers (can't afford to spend too much, and such expense would be wifely unacceptable when there are drivers laying around the house already)- The Quasars are beautiful, and the pictires already sound good to me - the real thing is doubtless amazing!

At present I'm using almost the simplest of all OB designs - a rectangular sheet of mdf with a couple holes in it (these are angled back about 10 degrees) - - full range budget driver and big old Fane biamped and actively crossed over - a pretty good sound - bass much affected by distance from wall / corner ... I'm hoping for much better the next build.
(I'm the bald bloke - the big one is my mate Nigel, a more skilled audiophile -)
:smile: ALF

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread