Combine Frontloaded and Backloaded (BD-Design)

by DK @, Friday, January 27, 2006, 00:18 (6658 days ago) @ Bert

Last thing to mention, the light weak paper cones can't handle pressure,
pressure needed to get dynamical and clean bass.

I would agree only to a certain extent. It is an opinion that real bass can not be achieved from the horn of reasonable size. But it’s the matter of what real bass and reasonable size are.
I haven’t heard Miroslav’s horn called Veliki (http://hornet.hi-fi.hr/) but he claims that it goes as low as 20 Hz. Attach front horn to it (theoretically :smile: ) and you’ll get something close to initial post drawing.
The technical idea of a horn is to be an acoustic amplifier, so that even tiny vibration is amplified by it. Back loaded horn, as we know, is designed to amplify low end frequency. This is where the size comes into play. Again, as we know, real low frequency can only be achieved by the really big horn. So if you can sacrifice some part you your living room or build the horn into your house behind the walls you may actually achieve fairly good bass. BTW, there are quite few examples for it. So try it up and have fun.

I own a pair of quite good back loaded horns for two years. I love the sound but still building BD15 based subs. If you ask why, I would hesitate to say that it’s only to have my bass improved (it is as well, since my horns are IN the room :smile: ). Building something is what DIYs do…

Dmitry

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread