help me, to help you.. (Off Topic)

by Bert @, Friday, May 19, 2006, 22:42 (6524 days ago) @ fu_man

Hi fu_man,

Bert wrote: People should buy more from me to speed things up...

so... when will we have the price for the Orphean?

I am very close to finalising the whole design and solved 99.9% of problems that might occur for the DIY-er.

The filter is done in the basics, I am now trying different brands and materials for the used parts to see which combinations give the most musical peformance for their price.

When all is done then I can calculate exactly how much things will cost and next week I do hope to see all the painted horns back here so that I can take pictures and when all is ready then I can upload all to my wesite.

Not more than 2 weeks from now and you'll will know.

...and if the Orphean might be more affordable...OMG might it finally be within my reach? Okay I know I am being impatient, but am i right that the compression drivers for the new 250 are much cheaper than the Lowther and AER drivers, yet this system is giving you the joy?

The Orphean will not be cheap either. All costs are calculated in the same way as with all systems and related materials. If the basic material is less expensive than my customers will get the same advantage.

This is the same reason why all Oris horns cost the same. The raw material and time needed to create each of them is basically the same and therefore no reason to price them to size or emotion.

Either way, the Orphean does give me much pleasure and so does AER but in a different way. There are many beautiful women in this world for which I could settle...

If the 250 horn is the same price as the other horns and the driver is cheaper - what of the other components that will make up the Orphean? Am I missing something here? A new product can't be cheaper than previous models!?!

You should feel lucky that I am not commercial "talented" like most high-end companies are. I am not making things extremely expensive trying to fool people who do not trust their own ears.

How many among us think that more expensive equipment (as usual in the so called "high-end" world) is always better? :fool:

I am not thinking like that and neither should you or anybody else for that matter!

All I offer is value for your money. In my world where things are more expensive then this is only because it is not mass machined production but made precisely by hand, using optimal materials which takes quality time and therefore is costing more money. Time is money, using quality materials is costing extra and so forth....

BMS drivers are stamped CNC mass production made drive units, they make hundreds each week and that highly reduces the price. These are not perfect, hence the reason why I need to modify them and having had a terrible time to tune the filter towards its present performance!

I could have my own compression drivers made in the way I would like to see them but then they will be much more expensive, unless I can sell hundreds a week...

...buy a DIY kit I'll have to find someone to do at least the electronic work for me... i hardy know which is the hot end of a soldering iron. I'm only looking at DIY to reduce costs, not the least being shipping a huge wooden box to the opposite side of the world.

The filter for the Orpheam will only be sold completed in combination with the modified BMS drive units, no soldering problems should be expected with that... :smile:

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread