Interesting post at Audioasylum (Off Topic)

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Monday, July 03, 2006, 09:19 (6506 days ago) @ Bert
edited by unknown, Monday, July 03, 2006, 09:29

I have tried lossless compression a while ago and it didn't improve
things. It sounded different but if it was worse is something I can't
back-up.

Hi Bert,

Be careful with your dutch here, because you could mean "het werd er niet beter op" i.e. it got worse for sure. Not consistent with the second sentence I think, but OTOH you wouldn't mean in your first sentence that it can be expected that it can get *better* with a compressed file ?

I normally use FLAC for the CDs I got physically at home (the borrowed etc. are stored as WAV), and I too think it sounds different. I'd call it "shorter", making the highs somewhat more profound. I never thought it sounds worse BUT in this case I'd say it just caNot be better that the normal uncompressed WAV. How could it ?

IMO there's one option only : because there's less I/O from disk, that again encouraging for the RAM disk. I never tried to find the difference in FLAC files being played from disk vs. ramdisk yet.
Anyway, it could be an indication that playing from memory indeed is better than from disk.

You won't here me say that the higher load on the processor influences sound for the worse. At least it is not my experience that with the processor at 100% because of other tasks during playing music, the sound degrades (all processes in the audio chain set to real time service !).

Peter

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread