My SINGULAR experience with 41Hz AMP5 (Singular)

by Giovanni, Ravenna, Saturday, August 12, 2006, 10:50 (6459 days ago)

Hi Bert,

Here is a picture of my Singulars. I drive them with 41Hz Amp5 based on Tripath TA2022 2x50W 8 Ohm. The source is a diy custom fanless PC with E-MU 1212M and external diy DAC with Wolfson 8740.

[img]http://digilander.libero.it/epiworkr/Singular2.jpg[/img]

I would share my experience with these speakers as could be useful to others.

The first issue is that Singulars with FE206E need a lot of power. When driven with SI T-Amp 2x5W the power seems enough, as you can get music louder than needed. But with limited lower and upper range.

With AMP5 (mine is 2x~30W) it is another story. Basses comes out strong, natural and definite. So decided to remove the filters that come with FE206E, and it was like to take away a veil, no a curtain. With thick basses and a more solid midrange I still felt a veil in the highest range, so I added the tweeters. I'm still experimenting caps, now are on 1uF, but not completely satisfied.

The need of power was confirmed when a friend of mine brought his 2 x 30W mono Klimo valve amps for comparison. The results were similar, just different sonic character (richer timbers with valves, wider dynamic and resolution with AMP5, but this is another story).

When you put enough power in these speakers, the enclosures too start to sound, literally, vibrating like an accorded instrument. Sounds are always natural and full, but never shouted, even at high volume: live:cool:.

Some friends of mine are professional musicians in orchestral classic music (one of them is the Klimo's owner). They have gone through a crisis listening to Singulars. One, cellist, was astounded listening to a sonata for cello solo: singulars seem to vibrate just like the cello case, and you feel sounds through your chest, just like it happens with a real cello in a closed room. He confessed to have never heard a cello like that.

Next step will be two bridged AMP5 tuned to 2x100W. If someone interested I'll report the experience.

Ciao

Giovanni

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread