Turntable versus CD... (Off Topic)

by James D, Sunday, September 10, 2006, 09:38 (6432 days ago)

I thought I would give my observations of this as it was mentioned one of the threads below...

My system, FWIW, is the Quasar Mk.1s and a variety of valve amplifiers - mainly SE and my own design. My digital system is PC Notebook, Foobar fully configured as per Berts advice, USB to I2S to stacked differential 1541s IT into valve buffer.

WHat I wanted to say was that my vinyl playback betters my digital in several important musical respects. It maintains a much better sense of performance and coherence than digital and has more extended and delicate highs. Bass has better texture and definition than digital and much better sense of timing...

To achieve this I spent the grand total of £200 or €300... much less than I did on my digital frontend... I use a rebuilt Lenco L78 idler deck in a home made plinth, home made Schroeder style tonearm and Denon 103 cartridge... This betters all the belt drive turntables I've compared it to. The only deck (other than say the Garrard 301/401) that I know that equal it are some of the top end direct drives but they cost a bit more than the Lenco :smile:

The point I wanted to make is that there is no need to spend 1,000s on a vinyl front end. Save the 1,000s for the Orphean :grin:

James

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread