Turntable versus CD... (Off Topic)

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Friday, September 15, 2006, 19:55 (6405 days ago) @ PeterSt.

As a matter of fact, in the Showroom I see many of you have the beasts of
turntables ... Are there more amongst you that can express -with all words
you can find- the differences between your digital setup and the turntable.

Hey Y'all,

Back in my glory days before I became brain damaged and sawed off some of my fingers I played the piano. I have a nice Yamaha which I played daily. When I first got a CD player I was delighted to discover that it did some qualities of the sound of a piano, especially transients and rhythm so well that piano sounded more alive that on an LP. However, CDs did not recreate the sound of other instruments such as the tone quality of saxophones, which I also played, or bowed strings in nearly so lifelike a manner. Twenty years later I still vacilliate between favoring digital or analog depending on music, instruments, mood swings, barometric pressure, etc.

My turntable is a vintage but still high quality VPI. I use an Eminent Technologies air bearing tonearm. In years past my favorite cartridge was a Shinon Red Boron, but now my propensity for breaking styluses has caused me to be demoted to a Sumiko Blue Point Special.

Bye
Don Reid

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread