Swing it out ! (Part-2) (Swing)

by GC, Monday, September 18, 2006, 10:38 (6429 days ago) @ angeloitacare

Hi Peter

u folks seem very amazed abought your baby's. They look really nice.
what i am curious abought, is the horn in front of the bass. What is the
difference, compared without it in front of the woofer ? does this bass
have real sub bass, meens til 25, 30hz ?

angelo

Hi Angelo

The SWINGs reproduce the lows better than any other speaker that I have heard.

The SWING incorporate a short (d = 80 cm) horn in order to provide the same sound character from the bass at the x-over frequency as is found in the Orpheans. At the same time the horn adds speed to the bass at this frequency range. The horn amplifies a little at the 200-400 Hz region, but this is liniarlized by the build in filter.
Hence the bass merges perfectly with the sound of the Orpheans. Your hear "one" sound source with no specific "split-up" sound character as found in most multiway speakers.

Further to the above Bert has laid enormous effort into getting this SWING bass system sound so good as it does.
He shaped the cabinet in a way that shows almost no parallel walls in order to avoid standing waves inside the cabinet. He incorporates a cellular structure of uneven sized damped chambers to cancel backward directed energy and to avoid such energy (distortion) to be transferred to the listener through the bass drivers diaphragm.
Bert also showed special attention to the chosen materials itself. By choosing a very light weighted wood composite the cabinet is allowed to vibrate a little while playing. As the chosen wood express very nice sounding harmonics it contributes to the overall musicality of the system. You may compare it to how most acoustical music instruments are made lightweighted in order to add or support harmonics to the basic sound.
I have heard very few speakers, where the aim was to ground the vibrations of the cabinets by choice of heavy and thick materials, that were able to express the inner soul of the music. Most of them sounded extremely dull.
Then Bert also showed attention to the overall size of the cabinet. By choosing 2 bass drivers in a push-push-pull-pull configuration (some call this "Isobaric" and some "Compound") the cabinet shows only half the size compared to the use of only one bass driver. Hence the remains of distorted sound inside the cabinet, which travels through the diaphragms, is dampened another 6 dB.

Summarised I may say that the SWING bass system excels and let the music slip out.

Talking about real sub-bass from speaker systems it is a general misunderstanding that a the enclosured basses should show linearity down to say 20 Hz.
Any listening room will amplify the bass from 200 Hz and down. So in order to have the bass linearity just right, Bert has mirrored the mentioned amplification in the roll off of the enclosured basses by selection of cabinet size, low Q bass reflex ports, inner cabinet air Q and the bass driver itself.

So can the SWING reach the sub lows. You bet they can. And they do that showing the same airy-ness as the highs.

I am sure that Bert could add much more to the above topic as he is the guy who figured this magic speaker system out.

GC

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread