goodsoundclub diy hornspeaker forum (Off Topic)

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Wednesday, September 20, 2006, 02:30 (6428 days ago) @ angeloitacare

Hi Don

yesterday i did read your post abought A DEQX PDC 2.6. I bought a pair of
Orpheans from bert. I use a klipschorn replica with altec 416-8b, Do u
think the DEQX could give a substantial improove of my speakers ? My
Klipschorn sounds very dry and fast, but goes only to abought 40 - 50
hz.

regards Angelo

Hi Angelo,

Nice to hear from you. I do use the DEQX with Oris 150/AER MD3s and the bass bins of Klipschorns, and I am very very pleased with the arrangment. One great advantage is that the DEQX allows time alignment between the physically separated horns of less than 0.00001 seconds. I also like very high crossover slopes free of any ringing made possible by the DEQX. I use a 96 dB/octave low pass and 78dB/octave high pass.

Other subjects tro consider are:
1. How good a replica is the replica of the K'Horns?
2. Have you opened the inspection plate on the bass bins to confirm the make, model and condition of the woofers?
3. K'horn bass horns work best when the room, and especially the corners in which they are placed, are built as solidly as a dungeon cell in Warwick Castle. Less than
solid construction will make them sound lean, weak and lacking in lower frequencies.

I love the DEQX. It is a wonderful device.; I plan to write a post about it very soon. Please note that the Magico Ultimate 5 way ( five perfectionist custom aluminum horns with highly modified ALE drivers and a wimpy woofer) which sells for $229,000.00 US per pair plus crossovers (several pairs already sold) comes in two versions. One version uses a custom dedicated crossover of perfectionist design, parts quality and construction. The other uses the DEQX. According to Mr. Robert Harley, subjective audio reviewer of decades experience, author of the last two audio books I bought, longtime SET enthusiast and one with whom I have corresponded the DEQX version sounds much more lifelike, images better, and while it might sacrifice a tiny, tiny bit of transparency it much much more than makes up for this with improvements in a multitude other areas.

Bye,
Don Reid

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread