DEQX vs Twindac+/Django (Off Topic)

by soundcheck @, Germany, Saturday, September 23, 2006, 17:20 (6418 days ago) @ PeterSt.

Hi folks.

I am a bit confused. Are you talking about Behringer DEQ-Equalizer or DCX-crossover.

Anyhow. As a matter of fact the Behinger DCX2496 is phantastic value for the
money equipment at 230€. With a bit of tweaking you end up at 300€.
That's more than fair. You can find all kind of stuff describing these tweaks in the net.

Running the DCX analog-in with consumer level signal is a noisy adventure.
Here you have to change the input section. If you run it on differential
Pro-Levels it plays acceptable. You could skip almost the whole output stage and this would perfectly match consumer level gear
Most of the "HiFi"-users are running it on low levels, which of course will not bring best results, especially in the area of dynamics. It needs some tweaking.

@Peter:
I think you pointed out - more than clear - what happens to the digital signal if you loose some bits. That's the same with the DCX. If you running the DCX with low consumer levels you loose quite some bits and dynamics.

BTW: For me, the DCX2496, is the perfect piece of EQ to integrate my subwoofers, timewise and
responsewise into the system and room. There is a huge
difference if you are able to work with 48/db filter slopes and parametric equalizers in the lower range, compared to passive approaches.
Though - It wouldn't fit my minimalistic approach in the upper range, which I am running more or less filter-free.
Of course a DECX would be a much better choice with its phase linear filters than the DCX2496.
For my subwoofers I'd regard it as overkill.
One more comment: I never ever had a better time alligned system when it was automatically
alligned by the DCX. Though I regarded this as lower priority compared to the overall sound quality.

Looking at a 4000$US pricetag for the DEXC , that's what is keeping my hands off. But in general I'd love to give it a try. :grin:

I am actually waiting for somebody who'll develop some kind of PC based solution. Peter: Wouldn't that be something for the future roadmap of GC.:smile:

Klaus

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread