DEQX vs Twindac+/Django (Off Topic)

by Henry Venema @, Saturday, September 23, 2006, 17:28 (6418 days ago) @ dr.cube

While I have no direct experience comparing the DEQX with the Twindac, I do have the DEQX in my system (I have also heard the Twindac and love it. Had I not purchased the DEQX I would have bought the Twindac).

The DAC by itself is quite good, but once I implemented the digital correction filters my speakers took a major jump forward in performance. My AER MD3 drivers never sounded as good: soundstage depth and width increased, voices sounded more natural, overall tone improved significantly. The in-room EQ option is also quite helpful, particularly if you have a poor sounding listening room or a non-symmetrical room.

I've owned many different digital front ends, and I can say without hesitation that the DEQX is the best setup that I have owned to date.

HOWEVER, be aware that using the software to set the system up can be difficult and I found the learning curve quite steep. There are literally thousands of options and possible configurations, many of which require more knowledge about speaker crossovers and design than I have. But if you're patient, and simply use the default software settings and have a good ear you can make your way through all the options and find a configuration that works for your system. I have mine set up with three different profile configurations, which lets me instantly compare different crossover slopes or filter configurations. I select the configuration that sounds best, then set up new configurations that are variations of the best sounding one and from there repeat the process. Every parameter can be varied. So I think I have years of fun ahead of me, but for some that might sound like years of an endless nightmare.

Now if they could make an audiophile version of the DEQX the performance would take a whole other leap forward. I think the pre-amp section could use some work, but I will have to save that for another day, probably sometime after the warrantee has ended, and hopefully by then there will be some good mods available from people who have more expertise and skill than I do.
Henry

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread