DEQX with Twindac+... (Off Topic)

by Henry Venema @, Tuesday, September 26, 2006, 18:12 (6393 days ago) @ Bert

I never thought of using another DAC with the DEQX but that is an interesting option. As I mentioned in my previous post, I have not been able to compare the TwinDac with the DEQX. When Bert and I were at the AudioFest in Denver I thought the TwinDac sounded amazing with the Oris system. If was only going to use the DEQX as a DAC the TwinDac would be a better choice, However, what the DEQX gives over and above any DAC on the market is the flexibility to compare 4 different crossover profiles at a time as well as different crossover algorithms. The difference between using the DEQX only as a DAC and with the speaker correction algorithms is nothing short of astonishing, you won’t believe it how much better this sounds until you actually hear the difference.

So far I’ve tried at least 40 different crossover profiles. The DEQX can measure actual in room response at the precise point of my listening chair. Initially the in room EQ yielded significant improvements towards a flat frequency response; however after spending a lot of time building bass traps and acoustical panels for wall and ceiling in my listening room, the in room EQ was less dramatic.

The DEQX is an amazing product for a DIY’er like myself. Since it measures the frequency response of any speaker, and plots the frequency response before it calibrates a correction algorithm, tuning speakers for a flat frequency response is quite simple, particularly for adding the right amount of polyester fill. So rather than tuning my speakers to just fit my own room, the DEQX lets you map both the actual performance of the speaker and once the best results are achieved then room problems can be dealt with. In the past I was never sure if a perceived problem was the result of my listening room or a problem with my speakers.

Once I finally settle on an active crossover, I’ll build a passive crossover to hear what kind of sound quality can be achieved with a single amp instead of bi-amping. Right now I’m using a pair of Serious Stereo 2A3 mono blocks for the AER MD3 and a pair of NuForce Ref. 8 for the bass drivers, and if anyone ever manages to make their way to Brandon, Manitoba, Canada, stop by for some cold Canadian beer and great music.

Henry

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread