Dipole with Oris horns ? (Oris Horns)

by jdunham @, Friday, September 29, 2006, 16:14 (6391 days ago) @ MichaelW

Hi Michael,

I like the bass of a dipole a lot, but will it work with my frontloaded
horns ?

Actually there are some good (psycho-acoustic) reasons why front horns and dipoles are a very good combination. This is due to the reflection characteristics of different frequencies on the listening room.

I have been using my own Oris 200/dipole system for a few years now, and am very pleased with the results. See Bert's showroom for a picture here http://www.bd-design.nl/contents/en-us/d146.html

I´ll surely have to “equalize” the Beymas up to 200Hz. How could
this be done ?

You will need more gain as in your current set-up, but actually it sounds like you could use this any as a first step.

I use a Behringer CX2310 cross-over just for the bass cross-over on mine. It uses 4th order slopes, and I can vary the frequency, phase, and level, so it gives me good control. Oh yes, and it is very cheap, and surpringly good!

A PLLXO probably won´t work with this setup, I guess.

You could try one, they are fine up to 2nd or maybe 3rd order slopes, but not beyond. I used Bert's original PLLXO in my set-up at first. But with my set-up, it allowed too much of the mid frequencies into the mix. The Marchand XR46 is an option where its passive 4th order, using inductors. They are supposed to be good but I've not tried one.

Good luck with your set-up!

Regards,

Jonathan

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread