GC - HighEnd? (Off Topic)

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Saturday, October 07, 2006, 09:59 (6404 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,

Almost can't wait for a stable version. Is the pre-release of Vista not
suitable to do things ahead?

Yes and no;
Vista RC-1 itself will be okay, but the "official" drivers for that are not. The least I will need are official drivers for my own Fiterface800, otherwise I won't know what I'm testing. Remember, this all begins with bit perfect playback, and as things look now it might even be harder to do that with the first Vista version. However, it looks like there's a chance that in SP1 it will just become easy for all of us to have bit perfect playback.

All is about differences like :
- In XP M$ doesn't even admit or understand that there's no bit perfect playback possible without KS/ASIO.
- In Vista KS won't be possible (but I have to wait see really), and apart from ASIO now ON PURPOSE it's not bit perfect.

The latter is about converting to 24 bits by standard, adding dither by standard, and going back to 16 bits towards the DAC etc. (and then applying dither again).
There's a possibility that in SP1 this whole path is avoided by choice, and then there's no problem in the bit perfect area.

Note : dither means randomizing the least significant bit, because you know in advance the last bit can be wrong due to roundings after (DSP) calculations.

What I need to do for sure, is attaching the sound device exclusively (which is possibly as of RC-1) in order the "kmixer" problems are avoided, but which need the sound card drivers for Vista.

All 'n all I will wait for the official Visa release, but in the mean time I will work on other stuff around GC.

I will get some extra memory in the laptop now for sure!

I am not sure yet, but I assume that I will achieve the best results anyway with an amount of memory where a complete CD fits in. That will be 1GB including the OS stuff.

Peter

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread