Tact Digital Amplifiers For Oris/Aer (Off Topic)

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Thursday, October 12, 2006, 02:51 (6406 days ago) @ Peter K
edited by unknown, Thursday, October 12, 2006, 03:02

Hi Peter and Everyone Else,

(A funny thing about the amp is that TacT recommends it for bass - but I
actually think it is more suited for midrange and treble!)

After enjoying good 16 Hz to 20+ kHz response from various speaker systems I designed and built for myself for twenty years or so I really miss the highest of the highs and the lowest of the lows. While keeping the ability to revert to the tubes, Klipschorn bass folded corner horns and Oris 150s/AER MD3s I'm presently enjoying I'm going to set up a four way system.

Good suwoofers driven by vintage 18" woofers I designed back in 1984 (I spent numerous hours inside the cabinets, working.)will be powered by a conventional ss amplifier. The Klipschorn bass bins will serve as lower bass upper bass couplers. The Oris 150/AERMD3s will play a range of over five octaves and Fostex T900A horn Supertweeters will sing high soprano. Crossover slopes will all be high order, and nominal crossover points will be 60 Hz, 160 Hz and 7001 Hz. Fostex reccomends a crossover point above 7000 Hz. The digital amplification, crossovers, time and phase alignment, room correction, etc. of A Tact RCS2.2 XP preamplifier and three Tact S2150 XDM digital Amplifiers will hopefully allow me to coax these drivers varied in location and character to sing as one harmonious mellifluous choir. With entirely digital recordings the signal will never leave the digital domain after the microphone until it reaches the voice coil of the speaker. If you do not like digital manipulation of your music then why are you messing around with CDs instead of listening only to pure analog which was invented century before last by Edison or Berliner one or the other?

If the expense of the Tact purchases leads one to wonder if I am a rich man the son of a rich man, I am not. My wife and I are both from very modest backgrounds. We worked our way through university, kept good jobs, and for fifteen year lived and reared our children on my salary and invested hers in well chosen common stock mutual funds. It is a not very glamorous plan, but one I reccomend to younger people.

Also, I'm a bit eccentric. I drive a rusty worn out twenty-three year old pick-up truck, wear raggedy ass clothes and eat nothing but peas and corn bread. That part is optional.

Bye,
Don Reid

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread