USB to glass digi out (Off Topic)

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 11:39 (6394 days ago) @ ffd

Sorry bout the lact of info:blush: I'll try this again
After I expanded the amt of Ram in Ramdisk my PC is no longer happy with
me:sad: no problems it has little ram anyway so time to buy more:grin:

My system 2 way stereo
Toshiba laptop XP
Ramdisk & Jriver
Usb 2 out to a Behringer U202 (USB to SPIDF optical)
Behringer DEQ2496 to Decware Zbox (tube is Siemens Au7)
modded T Amp
Visaton B200 OB (fullrange)
Also out from the DEQ I have the BehringerDCX 2496 crossing the signal at
55hz 24db Lkw slope
Amp: Cyrus2
Sub: wo32 with Decware 10's (I believe they are custom eminence)

Movies stuff
who cares:wink:

Cigar: Candela rap dom long filler
Drinks: often Bushmills
Dog: Rotty
Ok I'll stop
thx
ffd

Sorry bout the lact of info:blush: I'll try this again
After I expanded the amt of Ram in Ramdisk my PC is no longer happy with
me:sad: no problems it has little ram anyway so time to buy more:grin:

My system 2 way stereo
Toshiba laptop XP
Ramdisk & Jriver
Usb 2 out to a Behringer U202 (USB to SPIDF optical)
Behringer DEQ2496 to Decware Zbox (tube is Siemens Au7)
modded T Amp
Visaton B200 OB (fullrange)
Also out from the DEQ I have the BehringerDCX 2496 crossing the signal at
55hz 24db Lkw slope
Amp: Cyrus2
Sub: wo32 with Decware 10's (I believe they are custom eminence)

Movies stuff
who cares:wink:

Cigar: Candela rap dom long filler
Drinks: often Bushmills
Dog: Rotty
Ok I'll stop
thx
ffd

ffd,

The only thing I can really deal with are the cigar and the Bushmill.
To find out what a Behringer U202 is it needs the Russian language I think.
Going through a DEQ2496 means molesting the sound (the DEQ lowers the volume in the digital domain), and since (I think !) the DCX2496 accepts analogue inputs only, you will be going out of the DEQ analoguely. That means two D/A conversions (and A/D) which can't be the best thing to do ...
Again, what the U202 is doing I can't tell, but probably it only converts USB to SPDIF.

Having a Behringer for the DAC (that would be the DEQ) is IMO by itself not a "decent" way to produce audiophile audio, so ... what to do ?

To my personal (!) experience, something like a DEQ isn't needed. I mean, if you are bothered by standing waves or whatever anomalies in room response, this should be attacked at the source (somehow). Too difficult to explain, and for now please believe me.

When the DEQ is out of the way, you best have a crossover which works in the digital domain from the beginning, hence no A/D conversion needed. This way you will need a crossover with audiophile DACs.
Best would be a crossover operating in the analogue domain (does it exist ??), so you can use the best audio DAC you can pay for, that outputting to the crossover.
Note that a crossover is different from a speaker (phase) correction system, and if you actually need a crossover only, just build a proper filter.

When you have the DAC right behind the PC, and not molesting the sound after the DAC by digital processing (starting with A/D conversion, and ending with another D/A conversion, with the latter destroying your first DACs efforts), it's time to look at how to connect the DAC to the PC;

IMO outputting from the PC with USB, while the DAC doesn't have a USB input, is more or less useless, and the USB to SPDIF conversion might destroy things again. However, you will be avoiding a soundcard then, *and* you will be kind of avoiding XP molesting the sound.
Another way of doing this, can be outputting to an external soundcard with Firewire being the best option for guaranteed transfer (opposed to USB), the external soundard reclocking the data near to the DAC, and the soundcard outputting in SPDIF (an RME Fireface400/800 will allow this).
This needs the "expertise" to avoid XP's sound molesting features (but can be done).

There are more ways, but the most important is that you shouldn't have a bit molesting device in the chain (like a digital crossover), because then you can do one thing only : have that one or two existing crossovers with proper DACs (which IMO even don't even exist compared to the bunch of normal audio DACs).

So concluded : yes you certainly can achieve things by another route to the DAC, but first throw away all the other stuff.
Except the cigar and the Bushmill of course.
:wacko:

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread