reference compact driver alternative (Off Topic)

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Tuesday, November 14, 2006, 10:25 (6366 days ago) @ siepi

hi peter
thanks for the quick reply.
i almost aticipated that kind of response , well i thought i could try
something less expensive.
but i am happy to hear that it acyually goes down to 25hz.
what is the difference between a musical driver and a subwoofer as you
call it?
musical bass driver might actually express better what i am loking for.
thanks

Hi,

A subwoofer goes somewhat lower (under 20Hz, up to 12 Hz or even lower), and it is usually a high excursion unit in order to achieve high sound pressure levels. Think of the cone to expand and retract for a total of 4cm or even more. In order to being able to achieve this, all (incl. the cone) have a higher mass, and therefore the cone has the inability to move as quickly as "music" requires. So a subwoofer generally is used for movies, where the low frequencies are used for effects. Note though that music in, say, 10% of cases contains sub-low frequencies just as well, which "nobody" knows, because hardly anyone uses a subwoofer for music.
*If* a subwoofer is used for music, is should play under the crossover of the bassdriver always, and most (active) subwoofers can't even be adjusted to such low crossover frequencies.

So yes, the BD15 is a bass driver, but with the "exception" that it is able to produce bass waves at a real low end, maintaining the dynamics which sure can exist in bass waves just the same. The difference ? with you ear in this (200 Hz at the high end) unit you hear instruments like a cello etc., while with a normal bass driver you hear bass.
So in the end this 15" driver is just super fast, and that's where it was made for.

Also note that because of the very minor excursion (it is not visible with the eyes), there will be the least doppler distortion possible.

well i thought i could try something less expensive.

It is not about expensive I think. To my findings, proper drivers (I mean, the best) can't be bought from a general brand. Superduper drivers just aren't produced generally, or are too general to apply in "your" specific situation. So, a loudspeaker manufacturer often let produce his own drivers dedicately. And well, yes, that makes them more expensive.

Lastly, don't forget what you get for it; Supposed you get something like the Orphean as well (there's an "adjusted" driver in there too :smile: ), I think I saw a prototype of a completely adjustable filter with which you can suit your needs always. It is amazing how that lets you tune the speakers to your room situation and/or preferences.

Please allow Bert to correct me where I was wrong or out of line. :bey:

Peter

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread