Jordan JXR6 or JX92S front loading (Off Topic)

by Bert @, Tuesday, November 28, 2006, 09:25 (6359 days ago) @ jzagaja

Hi Jacek,

Understood but Lowther DX4 which I've auditioned with Oris 150 in AES is 2*36/0,22=327Hz. This is a low range. We caNot amplify mid frequencies?

The DX4 is more like 2*60/0.24=500Hz (never trust TS parameters!) and even then it does amplify mid frequencies. The calculated corner frequencies are the -3dB roll-off frequencies (1st order). Furthermore the horn starts to act as a "wave guide" reflecting the energy forward that normally is going to the sides.

Using a fronthorn on a Jordan will only amplify (boost with max. 18dB) in the calculated range and adds maximum 6dB in front of the horn where the waves are longer than the diameter of the driver.

This means that a 6" driver (without whizzer) having a smooth frequency respons on-axis up to the highest frequencies will show an very different frequency respons when loaded with a front horn or wave guide.

A Lowther driver (or AER) do have a frequency response that has a rising respons (only on-axis!!) and in this situation the horn levels the tonal balance if designed properly.

1) Horn can be used as a waveguide. It is interesting approach too. Nobody tried it with small exception: http://www.maclementhorn.it/TqwtHorn.htm

I have tried it and although it gives advantages (more clear and focussed sound in the midrange), the overall quality is worse. Soundig great on some music and sounding completely off balance with other music...

That TQWT remembers me to an old design of mine, good to see that I still can motivate people to create similar things! :smile:

2) When the owner of AES Germany showed me Lowther DX4 with Oris 150 it was clear to me that there was no centre image - instruments played from left and right speaker separately with different programme material. He said the angling was bad. Something opposite form AER MD3 driver. There was also HF content.

This is not about the angling (in the high frequencies?) which is causing that, it is usually distortion. The more own sound a driver makes, the more distortion an amplifier or source provides, the more wrong reflections from the sides, the more left/rigth sound you'll hear. Sound which is not part of the recorded signal draws attention to itself and that reduces the image coming loose from the speakers. The horns should also not be placed too wide from each other (as with most speakers) to prevent that the center image becomes weak and fuzzy...

In my system (here at home) the music comes loose completely from the speakers with the music coming from a much wider and deeper stage than where the horns are positioned.

If the FL loading for Jordans is not recommended then I will try bipolar infinite baffle with dipole bass.

For the Jordans this would be a better solution...

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread