amplifier for orphean horns (Off Topic)

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Friday, December 01, 2006, 13:15 (6346 days ago) @ angeloitacare

Me again ...

First of all, as a "reference" I listened to the Sonic T-Amp, and I think I can hear where the comparison with valves are being made by others. I'd call it distortion, and not much different from a valve amplifier (as far as it concernes "distortion", not for real sonic experience).

For me, the Sonic T-Amp failed. Rather miserably. But then again, I think I could hear where it failed, and that it doesn't take much to improve it. This, while improvements are rather easy to achieve.
Also note that the Sonic T-Amp really doesn't have enough juice to make anything for whatever, *and* that a chip amp is rated against 50% of its max power while it starts to distort at this 50% or so of the power it can produce (a 9 Watt version really shouldn't be used above 5 Watt, or you end up with 40% (!!!) distortion). Or something like that (but REALLY bad anyway).
This is why you 'll need the (4x) 30W versions to begin with ... (4x 100W exists too I think).

I took the time to read through the whole 6moons review, and interpreting all and merging it with other "knowledge" ... I'm ready to buy it unheard.
This is also related to my judgement of the Sonic T-Amp, which really "did" something, although it wasn't right.

Although it will be personal, I'm in the leage of wanting to have mucho headroom, just because I can hear it brings something for the better.
If you combine this with a just a tad too large room for a SE valve amp (usually no more than 7 Watts) *and* my thinking that "distortion" is not good anyway (no matter how much you might like the sound coming from it), the chipamp is - or could be something as best of both worlds.

I think it is not fair to state that because you heard the one, all the others can't be right either. Besides that, much is personal *and* relative to the environment (large room etc.).

What I really think that's wrong, is that this thread starts with a theoretical recommended chipamp, but flaws into a general discussion about cheaper, DIY, and worst, a failing Sonic T-Amp as a reference. Of course Angelo, you kind of started it yourself by coming up with the Patek. This chipamp too received a good reference, BUT, for that matter it was just as good as the Sonic T-amp. Remember, all is relative, and the Sonic T-Amp already receives a good reference because it just costs nothing. But read well, read in between the lines, have one (heard) in your mind as a reference, and pay good attention. All three mentioned were reviewed at 6moons.

I can twist this into negative as well;
The Sig30 was reviewed by means of making use a Zanden $$,$$$ DAC ! Did you notice ?!
So all is relative, and in the end nothing can be trusted. For that matter, if you'd listen today to my Infinity's with front mounted lamp hoods :lol: , I could easily sell you my amps, I could sell the lamphoods, I could sell the Inifity's. It's just what I "want" you to sell. You will pay for it (and too much). I am (by far) not saying that this happens at 6moons, but when an amp is judged my means of about the worlds best Dac, which they received for evaluation just the same you tell me.
In my case and my amps and lamp hoods and all, it's really about one thing only : the software player. It is this what lets emerge the quality of the other components. It won't improve it, but it lets them work to their best (real message : Infinity's won't be better than Orphean horns because of it).

But I don't want to make the Sig30 negative. I read it all, interpreted all, and come to the conclusion that it hardly caNot be okay (read : it will be okay).
Don't project this to the chipamp in general, or that one can do it himself for that matter.

One last thing for fun :
Letting run such a thing on batteries is not a big deal;
If I am informed well into these matters, for a chipamp this hardly can make a sonic difference. Read : it just isn't necessary at all.
But now imagine ... without the bateries the thingy will way 500grams, added up by a square decimeter PCB, the box, and probably the power adapter. Would you be able to hear decent sound with "balls" (as we say it in Holland). I can't ... :dntknw:
Thus, add a couple of batteries so the whole starts to weigh a bit (7 kilograms, whatever) and now this problem is over. Nice trick.

Now thinking of the last, yes, you could do it yourself. But *still* you'd end up with the Sonic T-amp or similar, to begin with. And you wouldn't like that. Not if you have the reference of something like the Orphean. And you have ...

Peter

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread