amplifier for orphean horns (Off Topic)

by soundcheck @, Germany, Saturday, December 02, 2006, 17:42 (6345 days ago) @ PeterSt.

Hi folks.

I am a bit late on this one. Priorities are mainly on the source these days. :grin:
I put down the amp question a while ago.

I'd like to post my point of view, since I run a modded tripath 2020 amp since a while.

I think comparing the Sonic-Impact to a well designed tube-amp is rediculous.
There are ten times better T-Amp modules out there and not to forget other digital amp modules (e.g. Hypex, which are not much nore expensive).

Still there are just a few modules out there running on 12V.
Due to this fact they are not able to deliver very much power.
On >98 db/SPL speakers they still deliver more than enough power.

As some of you might know I am running a 2020 based heavily modded Monica module on a big-big battery (which makes a hell of a difference -- small batteries are not acceptable due to lack of dynamics caused by a high ESR!).

1. The T-amps are very sensitive to power quality. Lot of people running them on high-quality SMPS, which is good and delivers high dynamics.
My battery makes it better! No filters, radiation etc. Just pure brutal power!
2. T-Amps are picking up and radiating RF. Shield them!
3. They need some good parts (caps). Tweak them.
4. Forget driving your woofers with it, at least forget the small T-Amps for that job.
If you do that you can change out the input caps of the amp to a much smaller one.
This will take off the low frequency load from the amp. The amp likes it very much. :grin:
5-7W should be OK for the people around here having systems with 100db efficiancy. Still the 50W module at Audio-Digit 4*50 effective costs 160€ and is supposed to sound slightly better then their classic module, though the bigger modules do need a 24V power supply.
5. To avoid driving them too earliy into distortion they need some cooling on the back.

I guess I brought it quite far with the T-Amp. Even with the original Monica module on battery, I outperformed the Acoustic Reality (icepower 1000ASP)modules.

My future is digital and nothing else.
I don't waste any money on expensive not necessarily required stuff any longer. I burned enough money in my earlier audio-life. :fool:
(btw - anybody looking for Jeff Rowland Pre/AMP combo or Acoustic Reality 1000ASP mono modules - I got them for sale!) :wink:

Recommendation, if you're DIYer: Just get yourself a 80$ module and try it. If you don't like it you can use it also for a lot of other purposes, such as PC-Amp afterwards. I'll be around to give you some hints on nice tweaks. :wink:

Cheers
Klaus

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread