16 vs. 8 Ohm Taps on SET Amplifier (Drive Units)

by Cappy @, Wednesday, December 06, 2006, 19:09 (6344 days ago) @ Bert

Great, that is what matters, a good range on the TVC.

I was referring to the WE91 Ladyday version at 0.5v sensitivity. I think the version you have is 1.5v sensitivity.

I was concerned that the 0.5v input sensitivity of the Yamamoto 45 would be too much for me. My sources are 2v for CD and 1v output for K&K phono stage. Currently my DRD 45s are 1.5v, which like you and your Ladydays, works well for me.

Your source is less at 0.8v output, I think anyway from the Twindac web page. It sounds like the 0.5v WE91 might not have the best gain matching for you either, just like the Yamo wouldn't for me. Currently I think our amps have the same input sensitivity. 0.5 volts on Oris/Orphean, even with a TVC, is A LOT.

Now there have been many versions of the Ladydays so it is possible your input sensitivity differs. I am just looking at the specs on the current Diyhifisupply web site.

I have decided to stick with the Welborne DRD 45s, which have a wonderful sound. The reason I was looking at the Yamo was because of compatibility problems with the wonderful Emission Labs 45 tubes, but after a conversation with another owner, I now have some ideas on modifications to the Welbornes which have a good chance of fixing the situation.

I don't think the EML problems with the DRDs are Welborne's fault, either, since my TJ 45s have worked fine for years and are still very quiet, having < 0.5 mv hum. The Yamo runs the filament voltage lower than spec, for example.

Additionally, I learned Emission Labs made some changes to their 45s about 6 months ago, adding a soft start and changing the structure of the filaments to a serial design.

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread