Kill time while waiting (Off Topic)

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Thursday, February 15, 2007, 11:49 (6272 days ago) @ unknown

Hi Chris,

Although it will be hard to follow (over the various threads in here), our objectives are a bit different.

Do note that your amp will be one of the best around (just because you selected it).

For me it is about theories;
Then, first theory here not fitting mine, would be the push-pull principle. Too much chance the lot goes out of bias, if not sooner, then later.
Second theory which doesn't suit me, is the fact (!) that at one day you will find your tubes worn out, and that day most probably is months after it really happened. Btw, the same thing with the bias stuff.

Next is the "problem" of not keeping tubes hot all the time, this coming forth from the above. This, while I want to be sure that everyting is up and running in optimal state once I slide in some music.

Where the latter can be "solved" by means of a theoretical good operating Class A SS, it still requires many KWh per day. As I told elsewhere, I consume annually 12,000 of them, and for the underlaying price I could buy some nice stuff.

In the very end, the theory of operations of a class D might be even better than all else what is around. But, class D has many pitfalls, as you might have read in the articles GC provided. So it *can* be good, but the actual implementation determines complete failure or "good", with my hope on "te best".

In the end a decent class D design follows my personal nature of letting through the "data" 1:1 which is (in general) difficult for a conventional design.

In the end it is not about me, but about all of us with the potency of the very good speakers together with the very good player and the very good DAC.
Please note that my 1:1 approach, so far, produces the best sound indeed. For that matter, anyone saying that an amp passing through a square wave near 100% (100% is impossible), does not tell anything about sound ... is IMO just wrong. It should. When not, one had forgotten to look at the input square wave at 20,000 Hz or whatever else it is that detoriates the square to a sine at that particular situation, including saturation of the transformer and everything else I am not knowledgeable in. :no:
I can measure output though.

But you guys have speakers even more sensitive than my Hedlund /BD15
combination, and here you are looking at amps of 700 watts. :shame:

"We" do not seek 700Watts at all, but these power ratings are unavoidable for a decent design around it. Note that I made this a subject explicitly, and there's still no way the 180W version can be as good (which is an objective expression by the Hypex people IMO, because at first they tried to talk me into that one, just because they had more available of it).
I even asked for turning the 700W into 100W, therewith multiplying the quality by 7. :wacko:

Anyway, as it turns out, thanks to the ever lasting benefits of Motorcickle GC, we now have another thread about amps.

Peter

PS: Bert, spend some money on a moderator !! :cool:

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread