Positive experiences with Class D (Off Topic)

by Peter K, Thursday, February 15, 2007, 18:33 (6277 days ago) @ GC

Hi,

I just want to add my 2 cents… I have now used Class D amps for while now on my horn rig, and I am very happy with the results! The amps are Acoustic Reality eAR Enigma (for midrange and up) and Acoustic Reality eAR Two (for bass). These amps are based on IcePower modules. The models (which are both discontinued) use conventional power supplies (not switch-mode). Two my ears these amps do not sound “digital” in any negative sense of the word at all. They are very clear and clean although still natural sounding. Besides the “big one” (the eAR Two amp: 2 x 250 Watt/8 Ohm) has a very powerful and tight bass!

I have not compared these to, for instance, tube amps, but I have had a chance to compare these directly to some other Class D amps, that is, TacT SDA2175 and LcAudio’s ZapPulse version 2.2 SE. The eAR amps were quite a lot better in all respects than the ZapPulse amps. The Tact amp was clearly better than ZapPulse too, although not quite a good as the eAR amps (voices were less natural and the bass was substantially less powerful). Quite a few customers have sold their “big bucks” amps (e.g., ML, Conrad Johnson, Jadis, etc.) in favour of these eAR amps….

I am sure that there are better amps out there, but you definitely get a lot of value for the money.

All the best
Peter

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread