What about a listen to Class D (Off Topic)

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Friday, February 16, 2007, 12:39 (6250 days ago) @ GC

Hi GC,

You must have lost yourself. At last !! haha.

I really don't understand why *I* should listen to a degraded version of a version which is superb, if it is not about the money.

If you want to listen to this degraded version I'm afraid you have to arrange for that yourself. There's an internet shop, you spent 90 euro or so, pickup a screwdriver somewhere, and there you go.

If you can't be serious about this, ... your problem. But your problem then will not reflect me. I mean, I will not spend a second listening to something of which is know to be worse. Again, for those "money no object" it should work like this.

Go and ask Bert how EXACTLY things worked out the previous time with the NuForce. I mean, in advance. I spent the time anyway (which was a free afternoon, or not working on the good stuff if you like), and it was a complete waste of time. Not 100% of course, because now we know even better, but still.

Or maybe I don't understand you ?

It's too early to determine what is best. But not too early to see wether
D-class is something to concern about at all.

And this is to be tested with not-the-best stuff ?
Again, not by means of my time, please.

I would not spent time and money to go to Holland in April if one of you
two would drop an opinion on the Hypex stuff. Is there a potential here or
not?

This is not about "potential", AT ALL. But :
This might be difficult for you (anyone for that matter) to understand.
The way Bert and I listen these days, -and this is very different from a year ago, for Bert too I'm sure- does not leave ANY room for not having a real opinion, if that's what you mean by "potential". So far, everything we did together was with definite conclusion. Do note though, that -whatever it was- came forth from "not knowing on your own", i.e. lacking facilities to check things. Example : I use an in fact too long Firewire cable, and the same for USB. Both sound very different, and for me it is without conclusion because both are not right (read : each of them has a clear advantage, but sadly in another area, and each of them has a clear disadvantage as well (same). So I (we) KNOW this, i.e. we recognize this. Now, or Bert brings his laptop with shorter cables, or I buy a PC for it.

Another thing which is even harder to explain, is that the differences in all are so HUGE, that we rather learned to interpret what we hear. Example :

Before : doesn't sound so nature like.
Today : I hear an echo which should not be.

There will be no way we will be without conclusions with whatever comparison. However, what IMO can happen, is that with the further equipment (incl. cables) we have, no differences can be found. But I think this is unlikely.

Addendum :
Say, each other week, I myself find another way of testing;
Last week I found that kranking up the volume to before unheard levels is just another super theoretical means of testing. With GC-Vista I suddenly could do that and was so much surprised it could happen without the room full of bouncing waves. It was an experience I never heard before. Amazing, and another dimension (I told this elsewhere too, excuse me for that).
But now Bert came along, and although I didn't prepare it, I wanted to demonstrate it to him. There were three persons in the room, each of them grabbing their ears, all being definite that I made a mistake and I just played too loud. Btw, one of these persons was me.
After some thinking, it appeared that I was using a before version of GC, and although it is as bitperfect as all biperfect playing can be, the software worked slightly different, and the sound was destroyed. Mind you, at starfighter levels. I say it again : the perception was "too loud", but the level really was the same as the week before, and two of those three persons in the room witnessed it.

For me this new test is easy now; I will measure the SPL with the reference sound (and music) I have, and when a next amp can't produce that, it's worse.

To me, checking / testing these things become more and more objective and driven by theories. I say it once more : having the reference is the most important of all.
Yesterday, after playing a few tracks with GC-Vista, I turned back to GC-XP. You know, that very good player. Now what did my wife say (without knowing the background) ? there's distortion !

Things go so fast ...

Anyway, conclusion : If the Hypex is better in absolute sense than the Laydyday, you will know. If it is not better, you will know just the same and then there is no reason to buy it.
The phenomenon "potential" will not exist. But, as it comes to me, the current standard UcD700 has potential, which is to be turned into reality by the Hypex people.

HTH GC,
Peter

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread