Dynamics (Off Topic)

by soundcheck @, Germany, Friday, February 23, 2007, 15:01 (6271 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Klaus,

At a certain point you have to go for a compromised solution that -- in
the end -- is matching your taste.

I have to disagree unless taste is the same as reality...

Ciao,

Bert

Hello Bert.

I don't really understand your statement. We need to define "Reality"!

I guess we are entering a philosophical discussion around the subject.

The way how I see it:

Due to technical and environmental limitations of any system, we won't be able to get a perfect reproduction. Never. It all starts with the recording -
we discussed this earlier, and ends at our brains.
There are just too many parameters you're not able to manipulate.
You'll tweak your system so far that you might call its output "Reality".

If we're honest to ourselves. It is not Reality. It is a try, to reproduce music as good as we technically can, which gets us close to what we think is reality, a nice illusion - virtual reality!
We absolutely do not know, to stay with the earlier used example, how this or that particular violin sounded when recorded. We can just say it sounds real -- or to be more precise -- at least it doesn't sound wrong!
What's the benchmark here. The 100% perfect audio benchmark has never been agreed upon. And it most probably will never ever happen.
It might be real live music, though even that is impossible, if you start thinking about it! (Although many audio freaks claim that their audio gear sounds better than live. :wink: )

All sound impressions expressed in the audio world and around here, are based on more or less well performing audio systems, and are IMO pure subjective and very emotional driven. That's what I call - Taste!

Cheers
Klaus

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread