Singular modified: curves not 45 degree (Singular)

by MikeH @, Saturday, February 24, 2007, 08:54 (6270 days ago)

I Listened to a friend's Singulars with AER drivers last week. (driven from 1 watt class A valve amp. First the efficiency amazed me, I wouldn't believe it was only a 1 watt amplifier. Then I sat in the right place and listened, it really opened my ears. I had a listen both with and without phase plugs and can't decide which I preferred. I noticed a difference in the mid-highs but I caNot put it into words.

I'm now fixated on building a single driver speaker for myself. It's time to retire my trusty old TaNoy M15s to the computer room.

All of my amplifiers are transistor amplifiers, reasonable but nothing special and certainly not class A.

I can't afford the AER drivers so I will have to settle for the Fostex FE207E.... for now. Then again I do want reasonable off axis performance so I might go with the 206.

I have decided firmly on the singular cabinet.
I initially decided firmly on Birch plywood, unfortunately that is impossible to get where I live. I can buy it but I am 1600km from the nearest city, by the time it gets here on a truck it will be damaged or broken.
So I have to use MDF. I will use 18mm for the internals and either 18 or 25mm for the outside.

I looked at the design and saw all of these corners inside. I would like to try something a little different if the experts agree with my thoughts.
Please excuse me for stealing the picture from your PDF.
First note the 50mm increase in height added at the bottom, this is if i use cement or similar to stop it from breaking in half.
The green part is a piece of hardwood, planed to a rounded shape, that part is easy.
The yellow parts are one of several things. Turned wood, sawdust and epoxy, cement, plaster, thin ply with sand packed behind, You get the idea. A material not too exotic or expensive that can be machined or poured into a mould.

question 1: would it improve the sound enough to make it worth the effort?
question 2: this would reduce the volume slightly, what is more critical length or volume?
Question 3: Which of the two fostex drivers, Just how bad is the 207 off axis?

[img]images/uploaded/image215.jpg[/img]

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread