Singular DIY with AER mk I. (Singular)

by MikeH @, Tuesday, February 27, 2007, 07:28 (6240 days ago) @ GC
edited by unknown, Tuesday, February 27, 2007, 07:31

I listened to a set of singulars with the AER Mk 1 last week.
The amp was a custom built item, 1W A class pentode valve amp, flat 10Hz to 40kHz. Probably quite similar to your 300B. I haven't listened to good single driver speakers before these. (we ran a sweep tone and I can still hear past 20kHz which should count for something)
The room was about 4m by 7m with the speakers on the short wall 0.5m from the corners.
London Philharmonic playing Comfortably Numb gave me goosebumps. The imaging in that was amazing. You could hear the position of each instrument. Left and right and up and down! You must buy that recording if you are a pink floyd fan.

You will definitely need the phase plugs. The speakers are highly directional in the high frequencies. I was 2 metres from the speakers and I had to duck slightly. We tried with and without the phase plugs and I preferred them with, mid-high freqiencies seemed fuller but not louder, hard to describe.
In a bigger room you might be ok without them, but other people in the room will wonder what you are raving about until they sit in the right chair.

The efficiency is incredible. Bass you can feel from 1 watt.

I listened to a live recording of a 4 piece band from in a pub and you could literally hear the bottles behind the bar (in the recording) rattling from the kick drum. I closed my eyes and could almost smell the stale beer and smoke.

Close mic'ed Female vocals were outstanding. One singer i listened to didnt use a pop filter on the microphone and you could feel her breath on B and P sounds.

As you can tell I love the singulars with the AERs. You do need the correction filters on them. And those were MDF cabinets! With Birch Ply they must be wonderful.

Let me know which recordings of Jethro Tull are good quality. I haven't found many good recordings so far.

(I edited this to fix a spelling error then i notice how old it is. Oh, well.)

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread