Trend's TA10.1 listening impressions (Off Topic)

by Sjef @, Saturday, March 03, 2007, 02:35 (6236 days ago) @ angeloitacare

I have bought a Trends TA10.1 last week just out of curiousity. It's running for a couple of days now and I'm still waiting for things to get better, so far it doesn't seem to happen. I'm not impressed by this little unit, well I'm a bit impressed by it's looks, it's a very cute little amp but not by it's sound quality. It's dull, lacks dynamics, lacks detail and all of the flesh and body seems to be lost. I have compared it to my 300B SET's, my Hiraga 20w Le class A, my little ECL82pp amp, my Tube/mosfet hybrid amps and they are all better in every aspect then this Tripath amp. It reminds me the most of a Gainclone I have once borowed from a fellow forum member on DIYaudio.com wich did not impress me either. The only amp I own (yes I own a lot of amps) wich performs worse is a EL84 triode pp amp based on the very famous Bocama transformers according to a schematic of the Direct Heated Rob website. I did not compare it to my NAD 2200PE amp wich might be worse too, don't know, don't have the urge to compare them. (Yes I have more amps, somehow I never sell all of my gear, it's just filling the closet, I didn't even mention my collection of preamps, dac's and speakers)

Maybe the Trends just has to have more hours on it or has to be tweaked a lot (battery supply ?, better input caps ? ERS shielding ?) I don't know but so far very dissapointing and I don't know what's the fuss all about. Just my personal experience, no pun intended.

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread