interesting laminate for singular cabinets (Singular)

by MikeH @, Wednesday, March 14, 2007, 11:41 (6247 days ago)
edited by unknown, Wednesday, March 14, 2007, 11:49

well, I finally had to give up on getting some birch ply for my singulars. It is impossible to obtain here. I am stuck with MDF, this is quite upsetting, I didn't think it would be so hard to get some decent wood.
I was looking for some nice dark timber veneer to hide this oversized cardboard that I am forced to use. I stumbled over this stuff, it is a high density laminate backing with some carefully oxidised copper foil behind some protective plastic.

the larger piece is 150mm square and less than 1mm thick.

This is a really interesting material, I dont know if I am brave enough to use it on my singulars yet. It's probably as common as mud in europe but I've never seen anything quite like this. It's almost subtle enough to get away with. The colours on the smaller piece change slightly with the angle of the light, it looks quite subdued until some direct light hits it.

If they arent going to sound right I may as well try to make them look nice, this theory seems to work for speaker cable manufacturers... :grin:

would a material like this help inhibit the resonance from the MDF or make or make it worse?

[image]

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread