crossover "break in" time? (Off Topic)

by MikeH @, Monday, March 19, 2007, 09:36 (6247 days ago)

I can understand why drivers need to be broken in, the materials need to be worked/fatigued a bit to allow the cone to move easily.
I have been an electronics technician for over 15 years, "Breaking in" of crossovers and filters has me completely baffled.

"Burn in" as used in the electronics industry is mainly for detecting faulty components, if something is defective it usually completely fails very quickly. You work the device hard for 24 hours or so, if it doesn't go bang it will probably last for the warranty period so you box it up and sell it. I am interested in "Break in" not "Burn in"

Nothing will change in a well made inductor or resistor, I can only assume it is a chemical change inside the capacitors. If this is the case I expect they will sound good for a while then continue to "break in" until they stop working properly.

I've been searching on the internet and can only find Salesman style explanations. Logical technical explanations are hard to find.

I accept something sounds better after being used for a while, I want to understand exactly why.

Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread