What sand to use for dampening? (Off Topic)

by MikeH @, Thursday, March 29, 2007, 06:58 (6236 days ago) @ fu_man
edited by unknown, Thursday, March 29, 2007, 07:02

I guess the benefit of the co****r sand in paving applications is that it
compacts better, (and better drainage) This may relate to what you say
about it settling to a semi solid? perhaps this slight 'lock together' is
useful given what one guy I know says: "Sand, tends to "flow" and move
around, absorbing low level info"...."Sand, however, is a "fluid" material
& IMO not entirely ideal for damping...altho it does get into all crevices.
I used to only partially fill my stands, so as not to kill the "dynamic"
entirely, only sufficient to stop steel tubes ringing..."

Perhaps the smooth fine rounded sands absorb more /too much energy?

You want to damp it as much as you can. Absorbing low level information is good. You dont want sound coming from anywhere but the drivers / horns.
Fill the stands to the top and reserve some extra sand to top them up as they compact.

You should get good settling if you vibrate the stands while filling them. I recommend an assistant twirling the handle of a large hexagonal shaped screwdriver against it. (rub the shaft between your hands)

Bake the sand in the oven in a batches of thin layers (about 5mm)to dry it out. Remember to let it cool a little bit before pouring into your stands.

I would not use larger particles like steel shot and gravel, if you have some loose on top it might rattle at high volume.
I would also avoid very fine sand, it will rattle out any small gaps at the bottom of the stands making a mess.

Most people will disagree with me on this next point but it makes sense:
Do not spike your speakers to your stands. you want to stop the stands from making noise don't you? so why connect them rigidly to a vibrating thing? Use ergonomic mouse mats to isolate the speakers from the stands. You know the kind with the gel wrist rest? use two of those for each.

If your speakers move then they should be heavier. Spikes do not isolate, they move and reduce contact areas.

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread