height information in reproduced sound stage (Off Topic)

by GC, Friday, March 30, 2007, 07:58 (6235 days ago) @ Giovanni
edited by GC, Friday, March 30, 2007, 08:07

Hmmmm

One could think that we just lay our speakers flat on the floor and we levitating above them we should recognice an orchestra under us?

But we as listeners will always be hehind the mic, not as the musicians who will be in front of it.

And what is behind the mic in the end? The speakers. And we are in front of those...mostly.

So back to listening height (and here I think Kurt comes close):

Mics sees the whole recording room/hall. Some mics are directive, some omni directional. Some points this way or that way. They are even placed at different coordinates, just GPS them. You will see.
Some mics aGCulls each others if out of phase, some not. All mics hears what the others hears, but at different distances reflecting different amplitudes then.
They all hear the the instruments, the room, each other in a chaos like turmoil.
Now even a Proprious or an Opus 3 recording with their single stereo mic set-up shows the same, far less chaotic though.
There are many ways to Rome as we say.

But for all recordings (except studio direct plug-in recordings) we hear the size of the room and the coordinates of the musicians in the air print in front of our speakers. Hence height, width, depth etc.

Don't we?

GC

In a period of my life I enjoyed to be the sound guy at the mixer at rock concerts. Handeling up to 50 mics at the stage in worse cases.
Blood, Sweat and Tears I can tell you.
Being a drummer for more than 15 years I had trouble enough with my 10 mics and my local mixer there at stage.
Why does most rock mucisians ends up as wrackages, nut-cases and pure :teasing: ???
The mic stuff.....

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread