Singular with FW208N: working progress (Singular)

by Giovanni, Ravenna, Thursday, April 12, 2007, 13:52 (6196 days ago) @ Bert

Pots, preamp and filters are still on the way, so I'm breacking in the FW208N using filters in the digital domain, as well as volume control.

The configuration is like this (without pre and pots), but with 41HZ AMP10 (TA2022 at ~30W) driving FE206E and UCD180AD (~80W) driving FW208N:

http://forum.bd-design.nl/index.php?id=13443

Playing loud, digital volume doesn't cause so much losses in resolution.

The two driver match very well. Playing Sonatas for single instruments it looks like a pure fullrange system. Piano solo is what has gained most. Fast scales from lower to higher notes (Chopin studies for istance) have nice continuity in timbers.

There is a difference though: woooooooonderfull bass :cool: Fast, natural, distinct. The room seems to have doubled its real size.

Now the problem. Singulars with FW208N can go low, I measured even 35Hz thick sounds with a microphone, but under 50Hz the sound starts to be confused and indistinct. Double basses in an orchestra are wonderful, but when playing lowest notes (at the beginning of Brahms German Requiem, for istance) the sound is more a hum than a double bass timber.

Maybe it is for Singulars TL is tuned not so low? Anyway I've still to try proper filtering and finish breack-in.

P.S.

Of course I replaced pasteboard open baffles with... well... you know... diyers like to be busy... fiberglass is easy to work with... OK here it is:

[img]images/uploaded/image251.jpg[/img]

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread