What can I say... (Singular)

by MikeH @, Saturday, April 14, 2007, 03:21 (6217 days ago) @ Bert
edited by unknown, Saturday, April 14, 2007, 03:30

Using a tone control does not only change the amplitude but also the phase
and probably adding more "noise" too. That is NOT the way to go...

The fiddle was to see what high frequencies the drivers can reproduce, I usually bypass all tone controls where possible. I looked at the frequency response plot of the FE207 and it starts wandering downward at about 13kHz. however a freq response plot is not everything, the ears are always the final judge.

Try some other amps if you can loan them first. Perhaps the 207 isn't as
dull as you might feel today...

I will do that. I can get the Sonic Impact T amp and I have most of the parts required to jazz it up (music pun intended) laying around the house.

My current amp is a Harman Kardon 5 channel surround sound decoder. Supposedly with "high current" amplifiers, power supplies in this sort of thing are often under-rated but I only use it in 2 channel mode. Certainly not anywhere near the class of the equipment you are using. This is a good enough for now solution with what I hope is a quiet pre-amp and input selection to drive better amplifiers later.
High frequency from that amplifier sounds fine (to me) from my old TaNoy M15 speakers. There was a noticeable improvement when I used this HK amp instead of my old Marantz Gold series transistor amp which was getting tired. The TaNoys have a fairly cheap looking cabinet but the drivers look and feel like high quality units. I have actually been considering stealing the tweeters from these but it seems a shame to destroy useful speakers. Otherwise I have had the Fostex FT96H in mind, coming in at the natural rolloff of the FE207 at about 12-13kHz. the lumpy response of the tweeter has me a little worried. I am sensitive at around 16kHz, I often turn the TV off when listening to music from my satellite receiver because the tone is obtrusive.

I am thinking perhaps the AER Mk 1 would have been a better choice for my ears.

[image]

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread