OffTopic (Drive Units)

by Jose Hidalgo @, Wednesday, April 18, 2007, 18:50 (6189 days ago) @ Bert

Thanks Bert. You finally saw my post ! :wink:

Xmax is 7mm.

If Xmax is 7mm, then either Vd is 599 (not 513), or Sd is 733. :grin: So I'll take that Vd is 599. Maybe you can change that in BD15's technical data ?

If you would build a dampened reflex enclosure then the group
delay isn't so bad.... the bigger enclosure gives a nice gradual roll-off
which can be EQ-ed more simple and less strong (saving some power on the
amps).

Understood. So you advice some dampening. Just FYI, I had heard other people advisind not to dampen bass drivers at all.

I never did any distortion plots on the BD15's so I can't help you with
that. I am sure that they will give a lot of second harmonic distortion
when they are moving a lot... :grin:

My ears made the selection for the used paper cone, stiffness, surround,
spider, coil (and former) and magnet strength. I have had several
prototypes here and the BD15 came out most balanced in terms of audible
distortion and dynamical behaviour related to the Q, etc.

Yes, I do understand, and I'm quite convinced that the BD15 is one of the top drivers ahead of the rest. No problem about that. :grin: Still I think it would do justice to the BD15 if you think about doing some measuring one day. No offense intended of course.

The real problem is that for a new customer like me it's very difficult to actually hear a BD15 (it remains a quite confidential driver and we can't find it in stores other than yours, can we ? :grin: ). That means we often have to choose it without actually hearing it. :shame: And for that, well, at least a bit more technical documentation with some measuring would be good. The small BD15 PDF really lacks some information IMHO. That's a pity because an excellent driver really deserves a good documentation, don't you think ? (well, maybe you don't... :grin: ).

Hey, maybe one of the current BD15 owners and would be able to do some measuring so that everyone can benefit from it ? That would surely be very nice (at least it would be better than nothing). IMHO of course.

Just my two cents...

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread