OffTopic (Drive Units)

by Eddie @, Wednesday, April 18, 2007, 20:01 (6210 days ago) @ Jose Hidalgo

Hello Jose,

A while ago I measured the response of my BD-15's that are in a 165 ltr. bass reflex box whith very little damping material inside but with very heavy walls and a few braces. I measured at the listening position with a professional Breul&Kjaer instrument. The -3 dB point was at 29 Hz with a quite steep roll-off to lower frequencies, I guess at least second order. I think that this is related with my room size which gives me a lowest resonance of about 30 Hz. At higher frequencies I also see quite strong room effects leading to sharp peaks and dips in the response. So the room is quite important and yours will be different from mine.

What I also found out is that I listen in the evening to an average sound level of 70 dB with peaks of up to 80 dB and I find that adequate and pleasing despite the fact that my ears already lost part of their sensitivity. Last month at Bert place we listened to the Swings at 106 dB for a few minutes. It was very impressive how clean and undistorted the sound was at this level, but for me it was much too loud to listen comfortably to music.

Kind regards,
Eddie

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread