T and D conclusions (Off Topic)

by Cappy @, Thursday, April 19, 2007, 19:21 (6215 days ago) @ fu_man

But with the Orphean it is seems like this is a match
made in hell....

I see it a bit differently.

The people that buy BD-Design products and populate this forum gravitate here because of the way we hear. We are in the 5% minority of audiophile listeners that hear in "a certain way".

It isn't so much that the class-d/class-t amps are a bad match with the Orphean. It is that the class-d/class-t amps, in general, suck.

That rising top end is only the tip of the iceberg and in my opinion not at all the worst thing about them at all. They produce distortion products detectable throughout the frequency spectrum. They have a cold, soul-less sound with nasty metallic colorations.

The Orpheans are more revealing than many other speakers. So the true nature of the amps is going to come out easier. But I couldn't listen to them on any other speaker either, I believe. Not without wanting to punch a hole through a wall in about 30 minutes.

Now before I sound too elitist, I have to say that this is my personal taste. There is no right or wrong, there is only what we prefer. Our ears and brains can process sound differently.

I see this all the time in wine tasting. After 30+ years of oenology, I pretty much know what I like. My strong opinions can easily affect other people with less experience, but just because I think most Australian Syrahs are as a rule execrable doesn't mean that someone else can't get a lot of enjoyment out of them.

Also, tastes change. Years ago I used to enjoy Australian Syrahs.

Now I haven’t heard your amp, so who knows, maybe I’d even like it. As I said in another message, I reserve the right to change my mind if I ever hear a good one.

In any case, if you like your amp on your current speakers, I think there is a good chance you will like it on the Orpheans.

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread