Bert's Subwoofer/My subwoofer (Off Topic)

by Ivo, Sunday, April 29, 2007, 14:53 (6201 days ago)

Ha Bert,

You are finally taking the big horn out of business? A funny coincidence, I have glue drying on a subhorn. :grin:

My girlfriend has moved in, with All Her Stuff... We have hundreds of books, CDs and DVDs and instead of devoting a wall and a half to my system (:cool: ), we need some wall for bookcases. I told my girlfriend I was taking one corner and she could have the other. :wink: Free space in "my" corner is large enough to house an Electrovoice Patrician, so anything smaller will fit as well. Obviously, this is a sub/sat approach. Pros and cons, but in my situation this was the most feasible compromise.

I started off with the corner Schmacks for 12 inch speakers, picture below. There are various reasons, one of them is reputation, another is that it's easy to build. Also, there's an interesting anomaly in this design: it's made of soft fiberboard. I didn't believe it at first, but various builders of the horn confirm that this is the best material. They think it's about damping resonances, worth a try. It can also be cut with a knife, which is handy when you don't have a workshop. The inside panels are finished and glued to the baffle, now it's a matter of glueing on the side and back panels.

[img]http://www.v-2u.dds.nl/30cmschmackstoon.jpg[/img]

Simulated response is somewhere between 30-40 Hz, plenty for now. However, I have never made a speaker out of this material before and I wonder if bass will come out of this horn at all...:confused: We'll just have to wait and see/hear.

Enjoy spring!
Ivo

PS: My system is clearly in a different league then most of the other posters around here. :blush:

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread