The Ultimate Subwoofer (BD-Design)

by GC, Saturday, August 04, 2007, 09:05 (6082 days ago) @ MikeH
edited by GC, Saturday, August 04, 2007, 09:54

Hi Mike..... talking about tsunamis of sound....

Once back in my younger days I had the pleassure to be a drummer for 15 years. That's not my story, but parallel to that I had the unpleassure to be the so called "mixer-man" at 100's of rock concerts. Even for rather big names. :blush:

Common for most bands are that they want to go loud. Real loud. OK that should maybe not be a problem, but very often it were. The PA speakers and the wattage juice available were often resulting in cracked and clipped sound. Huh... idiotic, but they insisted.

But at least I remember one occation or two where that was not the case:

1) Out door scene
2) 36 18" W-sub-basshorns equalized flat to 15 Hz
3) 36 18" basshorns 60-125 Hz
4) 48 2 x 12" horns 125- 1500 Hz
5) 24 4" hornloaded compression drivers 1200 - 5000 Hz
6) 96 treble horn drivers 5000 - and up Hz
7) 50.000 watts total amp juice 8 Ohm.
8) All gear branded Cerwin Vega

Now, it was a pleassure to crank up the master volume as it seems suddently that the headroom limits were unlimited. It was really clean and it could go really loud.

I were sitting approx 100 m from the scene and my sound pressure meter weighted showed 120 db peak when it were loudest.

Ha ha... How in the Christ name were it possible for the audience to stand just next to the PA colloms adoring the bands noise? One poor drunk guy even fell asleep with his head into one of the sub-bass horns!!! He were taken away and carried to the hospital with internal injuries. I'm not kidding.

I would not say I can generate the same situation in my listening room, but when I let all juice go into the SWINGs with a 400 W old vintage SS amp I have, my body simply protest. The bass kick is violence :cool:

Shall we say I hit a 125 - 130 db in my listening position? Now add a sub-sub that can follow...and the hospital is unavoidable.

GGeerrnneerr drrrrrrrrr :grin:

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread