Windows vs Linux: round 2 (Off Topic)

by Eddie @, Friday, August 17, 2007, 22:54 (6068 days ago) @ PeterSt.

Hello Peter and all others,

I enjoyed the visit at Bert's place, it was very interesting not only to listen to the equipment but alos to meet the people involved.

It does leave me with a lot of questions. From a pure technical point of view I really have no idea how all the differences are caused. There are still no measurements that pinpoint the sound quality aspects that we are discussing, at least I have never seen anything of it. That is why I call this work trial-and-error.

You bring up the matter of aliasing when upsampling to 48 kHz. If this is the case than the upsampler does its work very poor. I did not check it by measurements. This could be done relatively straightforward but I do not have the equipment for it.

Unfortunately, we could not compare one and the same CD at 44 and 48 kHZ with the same player at Bert's. At home I compared a lot of them and all upsampled CD's sound better and I know that aliasing sounds very nasty if it occurs. Three months ago I was strongly hesitating to try this because, again from technical reasons, I caNot understand why it should be a substantial difference.

I want to finish with saying that I am very happy with the equipment that I have at the moment. It is much better that I could dream of when I started this hobby more than thirty years ago. Further improvement is still possible so I remain curious and I hope to spend a lot of time listening to music.

Kind regards,
Eddie

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread