Preamp and amp recommendation (BD-Design)

by putterart @, Monday, August 20, 2007, 17:28 (6066 days ago) @ Bert

Thanks all for your kind reply. I am looking for good synergy and thus good music. I have an excellent front ends on both the vinyl and digital. I listen to jazz, classical, female pop vocalists,and folk. Accuracy is not my top priority, but I do like a low noise floor. I have a room that is 17 ft by 30 feet, but I set up the horns so that they fire the length of the room and basically can go back up to 24 feet away.

I have a pair of refurbished Quad 57s and I have tried all my push-pull amps on the Lowther- Heathkit UA-2, Tektron, Music Reference RM10 MK2, Dynaco ST35. The Lowther PM4as are 15 ohms. I thoroughly enjoy what the Quads offer, and the horns provide a different presentation- more a live presentation.

I was hopeful to get some guidance on what other forum members have tried. The fellow who I purchased the Oris 150/Lowther PM4a used a Yamamoto 2a3 amp. I have read that that the PM4As like power, so I was uncertain how many watts that I would actually need. I have never tried a SET amp.

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread