Preamp and amp recommendation (BD-Design)

by robmatthew @, Wednesday, August 22, 2007, 17:15 (6064 days ago) @ Bert

I have tried quite a few amps with the ORIS 150.PM4a combination and have concluded the following:
1) The Lowther drivers can handle some power but I would not go above 25-30 watts for the sake of driver safety in case of an accident.
2) The system works fine with 8 watts or more. Less than that I feel hampers dynamics although they still will play very loud with a couple of watts.
3) I had the Transcendent OTL amp and it was very sweet and smooth but lacked the dynamic impact that is so wonderfull with the ORIS horn.
4) Personally, I am afraid to use transistor amps with these drivers because a shorted outpput transistor can send the output voltage to the rail and blow your driver in a split second even with a rail fuse - that happened to a friend of mine with Fostex drivers. At least Lowther makes it relatively simple to replace a blown diaphragm assembly. I caNot speak for Bert's amp, though. I'm sure he feels secure in using it for his products and the folks think it is great. I would try it if I did not already have a shelf full of amps.
5) That brings me to my final conclusion (apology for the length of this post). As sensitive as the ORIS/Lowther is, it really opens up with 20 to 30 watts even though it only needs a fracton of a watt most of time. It is not that you need to play it so loud, it just sounds easier and more dynamic with the the added power reserve BUT, it has to be "good" added power reserve and that is never cheap.
Bob Figlio

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread