Preamp and amp recommendation (BD-Design)

by robmatthew @, Saturday, August 25, 2007, 02:56 (6086 days ago) @ putterart

Question:
Of the amp/preamp combinations that you tried, which combination provided the lower noise floor musicality? Did you find that a valve was better than a SET?

I have been using a variety of amps from SE 811-3 with Electra-print silver transformers, 300B and 2A3 with the silver Electra-prints,and Kt88 SE with James transformers. Right now I am using Fountek EL34 modified PP amps and like them very much.

Let me tell you something, though. Years ago I read about this crazy guy who built these huge bass horns in his house and I was intrigued by his dedication, stamina (energy) and downright courage to do such a thing in a family environment, of course it was BD. There was also another nut in the US called Burwen , I believe, who built his house on a bass horn. Whatever, after many years of trying, building and experimenting (I am now very old even by my own calculation) I have come to the conclusion that a couple of people have it right. Bert is one of them. The other guy runs Supravox. I have both systems and am completely involved with both - one horn loaded, the other, open baffle.

The point is, if Bert says it's good, it's good. period. I usually only trust my own ears. But Bert's systems converted me from "all horns are colored" to owning a double 150 system. I am sorry I did not buy it from Bert, but I am in the US and they became available. Now that the US is a "third world" nation thanks to the present administration, I have to count my pennies.

In short, IMHO. you can spend a lot of money trying to save money or just buy what Bert suggests (I never met him and I get no commission) and go with it.

You could build your own stuff for years, which I have done. That has its own rewards. Or you can simply go with what works and save a lot of time and money.

I hope I did not overstep the bounds here, bit I really feel that Bert has done so much ground work that his opinion is very valuable.

Bob Figlio

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread