Room correction with PC (Off Topic)

by unknown, Sunday, September 02, 2007, 13:04 (6053 days ago) @ GC

Hi GC

Interesting what you write...a blessing for you, a head ache for me.

Yes this often happens in Hi Fi. For years I stressed out over the 'Lowther shout', but its gone now forever.

employeed by now passed away Snell himself.

I used to love the early Snell speakers. Like Bert, that man could squeeze magic out of a simple box.

If a room want's to add something or it wants to phase out something. It is the room that does it, no matter what speaker is filling it with sound.
Hey...OK, let's steal some energy from a DSP controller and an amp to fill in dips and gaps, and the room disappears...?

No it does'nt. IMO.

The room is still there, but your speakers are told to act as a phase shifter 22 million times per second.

A room is a natural thing to perceive. It is actually not disturbing our brain at all. We compensate for its excistance and what our ears really perceive is the speaker itself.

Before I had the Tact in my system I also thought this way. I try not to fill gaps and dips but to be gentle with correction and always to bring bumps back into line rather than raise dips.

Who add's most to the sound. The speaker and what's driving them. Yes. And no if your speakers are unable to control the room decently. A ratio not to be forgotten.

I'm not sure I go along with speakers controlling the room, they can control themselves but not the room.:wacko:

Where am I heading? Well, the room itself has to be adressed as first priority.

Agreed.

All I would add is that with my system - rear loaded horns, base reflex BD15 subs and Fostex supertweeters - the Tact does an excellent job. Before this, I spent ages integrating the subs, behind the horns. They are now pushed back into the corners and the Tact takes care of the time alignment.

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread