Getting the best out of lowther drivers (BD-Design)

by MikeH @, Friday, October 05, 2007, 13:23 (6041 days ago) @ Ivo

It is called EnABL and it is patented. I don't fully understand it, I will explain as I understand which may not be fully correct. the idea is to add the blocks of dense paint in a pattern designed for diffusion of waves near the changes in material in the cone, these act like those huge concrete things they put in the water near the shore to diffuse the waves.
there is a very, very light coating of clear over the top. (Tamiya Micro scale gloss I think, thinned down 50%)

It reduces the reflections within the driver's diaphragm by diffusing the sudden changes in material near the edges of the surround and the voice coil. No more "hall of mirrors" within the speaker cone material = more quiet sounds can be heard in the recording that happen behind the loud noises.

Many measurements have been made. MMS difference is next to nothing, there is a change but very small. It really is not much paint at all.

BudP on Diyaudio is the brains behind it, he is very happy to share information and try new drivers for learning.

Look here and soon after for some good explanation from those that really understand it:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1313222#post1313222

Even if it's only 10% as good as it appears it's right up your alley Bert.

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread