Orpheans, Oris, Quasars and Amps (BD-Design)

by RichardofOz @, Wednesday, November 28, 2007, 03:46 (5993 days ago) @ RichardofOz

Thanks Everyone,

I am not yet ready to take the plunge on new speakers. Have to work a little harder.

To summarise the comments and checking I got things right.

I understand that amplifier gain (and overal system gain) and quiteness are the keys rather than outright watts once you exceed a threshold. So Orpheans with my 20W/ch amp should do OK whilst I do a slow upgrade. Noise and too little attentuation control might be a problem but I guess could be "fixed" by a fixed attenuator; resistor potential divider. So I should not discount any of Bert's offerings based on amplifier power v sensitivity.

The Orpheans will be more "punchy" than the Quasars but this is not a huge difference more a subtle sound difference. The Orpheans match well with the BD bass and preferably with the horn for best integration (I might get that past my wife). The Quasars need no woofers and look to be the easiest to make.

A sub-woofer might be nice but could be a luxery for later due to the quality of Bert's systems and the lack of great amounts of information below what Bert's systems handle.

Now all I have to do is make a decision and get the purchase order OKed by my wife.

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers,

Richard.

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread