First Watt F4 - any users there? (BD-Design)

by GC, Thursday, November 29, 2007, 07:39 (5992 days ago) @ Cappy
edited by GC, Thursday, November 29, 2007, 07:45

Hi Cappy...

Everything OK overthere? :wink:

Indeed it is maybe difficult to understand what should be the gain using an F1 or 2 with fantastic performance being a current amp, and then fire it up through a high voltage output behind it? Where is the gain here in SQ?

However it is feed even by a 30 Voltage source it will still be a current amp.

Now because I am so old and rememberance is not what it was once, there was a similar amp on the market which brand name I simply forgot, made in Sweeden I think.

At that moment I had Lowther drivers going in gips casted back-loaded horns. On those horns that amp. simply sounded gorgeous to that days standards.

But having more conventional speakers in my listening room too, it didn't work out well with those.
Filter components reacts differently to current than to voltage, in particular components which are in series with the signal path. So it could be a problem to some speakers with rather many components in the filter as serial compared to parallel components reacts differently than expected been feed by a current amp.

But what the heck...we know as well that a Magnepan speaker caNot live from 10 watts amps regardless what, so the dear Nilson Pass were not thinking of that either constructing the F1-2. He just made a perfect amp for non-filtered speakers.

If the F3 and 4 is a voltage amp. OK. No obstructions to filtered speakers.

Should we wish to change the Firstwatt to a voltage amp, this can be done by introducing a trafo after the speaker terminals which will do opposite to a trafo in a tuby.

Never mind...Nilson Pass has a point when saying that the first watts counts when we use high efficient speakers.

GC

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread